Squash and pumpkin are in season!
Make the most of these delicious veggies while they last by playing up their naturally nutty flavors with Jasberry rice and crunchy walnuts.
Add a few warm spices and tangy-sweet cranberries for the perfect appetizer or hearty side dish.
Comfort food at its best!
Ingredients for 1 serving:
– ½ cup of cooked Jasberry rice (about ¼ cup of raw Jasberry rice)
– 1 small Kabocha squash (about 22ounces / 600g)
– 6 tbsp of dried cranberries
– ¼ cup of coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
– 2 tbsp (divided) of olive oil
– ½ onion medium-sized, chopped
– Parsley, minced
– Garlic, minced
– Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cook Jasberry rice according to packaging instructions.
2) Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit (200°Celsius). Slice off the top of the pumpkin, remove seeds (optional: save for roasting!). Slice a thin layer from the bottom of the pumpkin if the bottom is rounded or unstable.
3) Brush pumpkin with olive oil (save some oil for the onion mixture).
4) Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet hollow side up and bake until golden brown and tender (about 10 minutes).
5) In a skillet, cook down onions and garlic in remaining oil until translucent. Add walnuts, parsley and cranberries. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in Jasberry rice. Fill squash with the mixture and serve.